Find Houses for Rent in Valparaiso, IN
Valparaiso is a city in Porter County and is 19.5 miles northwest of Gary. This city is home to Valparaiso University, giving this region a cozy, college-town feel. Yet homes for rent in this area also give families the chance to explore major cities like Chicago and Indianapolis, which are only an hour away. If you don't feel like going far, there's plenty to do in town. Visit the Taltree Arboretum and Gardens, which includes model railroading and plenty of dog-friendly trails to explore. Kick it old school and catch a flick at the 49er Drive-In Theatre, which has a concession stand but also lets you bring your own food. Hear music at the Chapel of the Resurrection, known for its beautiful architecture and stained glass windows.
Facts for Renters
- Indiana was initially considered a meeting place for many Native American tribes. As a result, many towns in the area have cultural influences from these natives.
- Valparaiso was discovered by Joseph Bailley, a French-Canadian man who wanted to establish a fur trading post.
- At first, the city was named Portersville after Commodore David Porter. Later the city was renamed after one of Porter's war tales. Valparaiso means "Vale of Paradise."
- If your child isn't interested in attending school at Valparaiso University, there are other renowned educational institutions nearby, including the University of Notre Dame, Purdue University and Indiana University.
- Take a 20-minute trip to Lake Michigan.
Resources for Renters
- Get to know this city and the surrounding area even better by visiting the Valparaiso website. The site has links to city hall and things to do in the community.
- Find out the weather for the week and read a few breaking news stories in The Times of Northwest Indiana.
- Learn why the schools in this area are so great by checking out the Valparaiso Community Schools website.