Find Houses for Rent in Chesterton, IN
Chesterton is in the Westchester, Jackson and Liberty townships that are in Porter County. It's approximately 25 minutes from the city of Hobart. Homes for rent in the area provide families with plenty of opportunities to explore and discover what there is to do. Take a scenic hike through the Indiana Dunes State Park, which is 2,182 acres of sprawling land that overlooks Lake Michigan. Several parts of Chesterton hold history to the area.
Facts for Renters
- Settlers initially came to the area because they were attracted to the animals and plants that the region provided. Before the newcomers, this region was inhabited by the Miami and Potawatomi Indians.
- The Great Lakes were initially controlled by the French and later the British.
- The first settler in the Westchester township was Joseph Bailly, who was a French-Canadian fur trader and moved to the area with his wife Marie. He created a fur trading post at the Little Calumet River, which was the main waterway in the region and led out to Lake Michigan. His home, the Bailly Homestead, is now a historical landmark for the region.
- The Thomas family were the official founders of Chesterton, after a few other families settled in the area.
- Chesterton had two other names. The Thomas family called it Coffee Creek and later changed it to Calumet. They changed it to Chesterton when they realized a local area was also called Calumet, which could have confused visitors.
Resources for Renters
- Get to know the area even better or learn a little more history on the region by visiting the Chesterton website.
- Find out what you can do around town or read up on a few breaking news stories by picking up a copy of the Chesterton Tribune.
- Figure out what children can expect on the first day of school by checking out the Duneland School Corporation website.