Find Houses for Rent in Abbeville, LA
About 150 miles west of New Orleans lies the quaint city of Abbeville, which serves as the parish seat for Vermilion Parish. Although it's not situated right on the water, Abbeville may as well be a coastal city, as its economy, history and recreational attractions are largely based around the Gulf of Mexico. As a result, those looking for homes for rent in Abbeville can enjoy the benefits of coastal living while also experiencing unique small-town charm.
Little-Known Facts About Abbeville for New Renters
- The land that's now known as Abbeville was purchased for just $900 in 1843 by Catholic missionary Père Antoine Désiré Mégret, who was a member of the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin. Originally called La Chapelle, Mégret set out to model the town after a French provincial village. The origin behind the city's name is still a mystery, but some scholars believe it's named after the Abbeville in the Picardy Region of France, which may have been the birthplace of Mégret.
- The current Saint Mary Magdalen Church, which stands at the heart of Abbeville, was established in 1911 after being completely destroyed twice by fire.
- Because of the city's proximity to the Gulf of Mexico, Abbeville has a rich Cajun heritage.
Helpful Resources for Future Residents
- To learn about employment opportunities with the city's municipal departments, interested individuals can visit the City of Abbeville official website.
- Information on the Vermilion Parish Public School System, including school locations, curriculum and lunch menus, can be found on the Vermilion Parish School Board website.
- Abbeville RV Park offers travel and leisure tips to individuals looking to explore the city's historic, cultural and natural sites.
Living in Abbeville
Although it may not have the national reputation of New Orleans, Abbeville is a quintessential Louisiana city that features a slew of restaurants with authentic Cajun cuisine, including fresh crawfish. The area is also a major producer of rice and sugarcane, while Abbeville hosts several food fests, such as the Daylily Festival and Garden Show and the Giant Omelette Celebration throughout the year, making the city a food-lover's dream.