Discover Houses for Rent in Bayside, NY
Located, as its name suggests, on the Little Neck Bay, Bayside, N.Y., is one of the nicest, safest neighborhoods in the New York City borough of Queens. With a mix of an idyllic suburban community, high-achieving schools and convenient metropolitan location, Bayside is an excellent place to locate homes for rent.
Fast Facts for Bayside Renters
- Bayside mostly consisted of farmland until urban sprawl and public transportation accelerated the neighborhood's development in the 20th century.
- Before Hollywood assumed its place as capital of the film industry, Bayside was home to many of the luminaries of the silent film generation and the early talkies, including Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Gloria Swanson and Rudolph Valentino.
- Bayside public schools are some of the best in the New York City Department of Education's system and include 20 elementary schools, five middle schools and two high schools. Queensborough Community College also makes its home in Bayside.
- The area offers reliable public transit options. The Port Washington line of the Long Island Railroad stops in the neighborhood, and the Manhattan commute is around 30 minutes. It's also only about 10 miles away from LaGuardia Airport.
Key Resources for Renters in Bayside
BaysideQueens is a superb community resource - it covers neighborhood news and events and offers community-relevant takes on local and government news.
- The Bayside-Douglaston Patch is a good forum to get to know your neighbors - it has opinion pieces, blogs, discussion boards and job listings, among other sections. For the social media savvy, it's also got a regularly updated Facebook page.
Things to Do in and Around Bayside
While all the sights, sounds and culture that have made New York City a leading global city are all readily available, there's a lot to do in Bayside. Top attractions include the 657-acre Alley Pond Park, the second largest in Queens, and a dazzling variety of restaurants that line Bell Boulevard.