Discover Houses for Rent in Middletown, NY
Found outside of Newburgh, this city in the Hudson Valley is situated near the Wallkill River and the base of the Shawangunk Mountains. Homes for rent in Middletown benefit from the community's proximity to Poughkeepsie and other fun New York locales.
Interesting Facts About Middletown for New Residents
- John Green first purchased land in Middletown and probably settled the area around 1744. It earned its name because of its central location between pre-existing communities in the region.
- The First Congregational Church of Middletown was established in 1785 and has the tallest spire in the city. The building that stands today was built in 1872.
- The city grew along with the Erie Railroad and the New York, Ontario and Western Railway. During the 1970s, many New York City police officers, firefighters and other union workers moved to the area.
Useful Resources for New Middletown Renters
- Middletown is home to the Kiwanis Club, an organization that has been serving the surrounding area since 1922. These volunteers help shelter the homeless, feed the hungry, build playgrounds and raise funds for pediatric research.
- The Middletown Thrall Library has been providing the community with enriching educational resources for more than 100 years. First opened in 1901, its wide collection of materials spans both print and electronic formats.
- The Historic Paramount Theatre has been open to Middletown residents since 1930, offering a range of acts including movies, stand up comedy and live bands. It seats more than 1,000 people and is one of the cornerstones of the city's downtown area.
What to Do in Middletown
Living in the city of Middletown allows families to enjoy the burgeoning downtown area that's rich with entertainment and brings citizens together to build a strong community.