Discover Houses for Rent in Harlingen, TX
Harlingen is located in Cameron County near San Benito and Rio Hondo. Families looking for homes for rent will find excellent family-friendly locations in Harlingen, such as Harlingen Municipal Golf Course, Wood Park, La Playa Mexican Cafe, Harlingen Soccer Complex, Sun Valley Mall, Las Cazuelas and the Harlingen Public Library.
Intriguing Facts About Harlingen
- The city was officially incorporated in 1910.
- The city's early existence witnessed agriculture playing a prominent role in the economy. Cotton and vegetables were the predominant crops.
- Harlingen principally served as a prosperous center for shipping and industry. It was also known for being a focal point for distribution.
- Military bases were built in the city as a result of WWII. This caused the population to increase.
- The current economy of the city remains based around industry and agriculture, though retail and other types of businesses have also migrated to Harlingen over the years.
- The Harlingen Press and the Valley Star deliver quality journalism to keep renters in Harlingen informed.
Resources for Renters
- Harlingen, like most cities in Texas, has an informative website. A page called "News and Public Info" will be a helpful guide for a new renter. The page subdivides into various topics such as upcoming events, local shopping, transportation and things to do in Harlingen, among several others. The latter resource directs newcomers to places such as a lake in the city, bike trails and a golf course. The site also lists the city's departments.
- Parents and renters eager to discover the educational opportunities in the city should visit Harlingen Consolidated Independent School District's website. Handy links include an overview of the district's values and missions, a page specifically for parents, news on the district and an employment page for teachers. Renters can also learn about the different levels of schools in the city by visiting the site.