Discover Amazing Houses for Rent in Weslaco, TX
Weslaco is located in southern Texas, between Donna and Mercedes. The city, which is part of Hidalgo County, got its name from an abbreviation for the W.E. Stewart Land Company. A railroad track runs through the center of the city, and streets north of it have Spanish names while streets to the south are named in English. Homes for rent in Weslaco give families access to a number of private high schools and higher education institutions.
Interesting Facts for Renters
- Weslaco hosts the Texas Onion Fest in March, which features live music, craft vendors and cooking demonstrations. There are also onion eating contests for the daring.
- The Weslaco Museum was chartered in 1971 and displays cultural and historical objects from Weslaco's history. There are exhibits on Spanish colonization, railroads, architecture and art.
- Harlon Block, one of the Marines photographed raising the flag on Mount Suribachi in Iwo Jima, grew up in Weslaco. While attending Weslaco High School, he played on the football team and contributed to a conference championship.
- There are two agricultural research centers in the city, one run by Texas A&M University and the other by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Useful Resources for Renters
- Newcomers to Weslaco can find out about area attractions, local businesses and annual events from the Weslaco Chamber of Commerce. The chamber also posts timely news on social media.
- For announcements and news on Weslaco's schools, visit the Weslaco School District website. There are also links to many necessary academic forms and parent resources.
- For more historical information on the city, check out the Texas State Historical Association's website. It provides a detailed account of the city's development, starting in the late 1700s.