Discover Houses for Rent in McAllen, TX
McAllen is located in the Rio Grande Valley, which is part of Hidalgo County. The populous city neighbors Mission and Pharr. Families searching for homes for rent will find themselves in an area full of opportunities and prosperity, reflected in locations such as La Plaza Mall, McAllen Convention Center, Fireman's Park, Charles E. Curtis Park, Taco Time, Morado's Restaurant, De Alba Bakery, Poets Corner Bookstore, Las Palmas Park, McAllen Municipal Pool and McAllen Memorial Stadium.
History of McAllen
- McAllen was founded due to land grants the Spanish sold in Texas. These pieces of land were referred to as porciones. This word translates in English to "parts."
- The first significant industry in the area of modern McAllen was ranching. In fact, the area was originally called "McAllen Ranch" before the city gained its current name.
- The McAllen Monitor served as the city's first newspaper.
- The St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway galvanized the early period of the city's existence.
- Grapes, figs and other crops were cultivated during the early years of McAllen, when agriculture had a pivotal role in the economic life of residents.
- The city was officially incorporated in 1911.
- Oil and canning were later industries that served the community of McAllen.
- Tourism has also been a factor in the economic development of the city.
Resources for Renters
McAllen's Chamber of Commerce has an excellent website for renters passionate about getting involved in the business community. The site has pages on business and community, a basic overview of the chamber's values, mission and priorities, and a resource that will allow a resident to become a member of the chamber as well as request information if there's anything that cannot be found on the site. Other pages include "Contact the Chamber" and "For Members."
McAllen Independent School District's website will be a foundational tool for parents concerned about giving their children the best possible education.