2,177 Houses for Rent in Lincolnwood, Illinois
Number of Bedrooms
Lincolnwood House Options
Discover Houses for Rent in Lincolnwood, IL
Lincolnwood is a lovely village located in Cook County. It's approximately 25 minutes from Chicago. Homes for rent allow families to enjoy one of the best slices of deep dish pizza around at Lou Malnati's Pizzeria, grab some fresh bagels at the New York Bagel and Bialy, or taste authentic Greek cuisine at the Psistaria Greek Restaurant.
Facts for Renters
- The village was originally home to Potawatomi Native Americans, but they left the region in 1816 after the Indian Boundary Treaty was enacted.
- Initial settlers to the area were Johann Tess and his family. The town was originally named after Tess, known as Tessville. Residents slowly came to the area, and the first business establishment was the Halfway House Saloon in 1873.
- Once the Chicago and North Western Railways in Skokie were developed, many people came to the area looking for jobs and the local economy boomed. The North Shore Channel was completed soon after in 1909, allowing the prairie land to easily be managed.
- The village's longest serving mayor was Henry Proesel, who was the grandson of one of the original American settlers. An innovator, Proesel hired unemployed settlers to help plant trees on the local streets. Since the area then had a development of trees, the village was renamed Lincolnwood in 1936.
- The village's first female mayor was Madeline Grant, who was well-known for her involvement with renovating the village's 13 parks.
Resources for Renters
- Learn more about the fascinating history of this area by checking out the Lincolnwood website.
- Find out what to expect for weather this week or breaking news in the area by visiting the Chicago Sun-Times website.
- Discover information on school meetings or lunch programs by visiting the Lincolnwood School District 74 website.