Find Houses for Rent in Niles, IL
Niles is a village in Maine and Niles townships. It's approximately 15 minutes from the major city of Des Plaines. Niles is a wonderful spot for homes for rent. The village is mere minutes from major highways, the Sidney Yates Flatwoods and the Tam Golf Course.
Facts for Renters
- Niles has a long history, dating before it was incorporated. The land was initially used by the local Potawatomi Indians in the 1700s. Many of the later settlers to the area were German, who arrived in the area looking for land at a low cost.
- The first log cabin was built in the town in 1832 by John Schedegar. The third family to arrive, the Ebingers, established positive relations with the local Native American tribes in the area. The father of the family was the closest with the Black Hawk tribe and often smoked the peace pipe with the chief.
- The early settlers in Niles took part in many farming-related activities and cultivating greenhouses. The farmers would travel to Chicago to sell their goods.
- The village was officially incorporated in 1850.
- The first fire wagon in Niles was called the Blue Boy and was initially operated by people pulling it. Years later it was horse drawn.
- An orphanage was opened in the village in the 1930s. It later became Niles College, which was open until 1995.
Resources for Renters
- Find out how to sign up for the school bake sale or when parent teacher conferences are by visiting the Niles Community Schools website.
- Learn more about the community and the village as well as what there is to do around the area by checking out the Niles website.
- Get your fix of breaking headlines and hot topics that are happening locally by reading the Niles-Herald Spectator.