Discover Houses for Rent in Metairie, LA
Located a few miles outside of New Orleans, the town in Jefferson Parish offer beautiful waterfront views from its prime location on the southern shore of Lake Pontchartrain. Homes for rent will have families never wanting to leave the lovely city of Metairie.
Interesting Facts About Metairie for New Renters
- One of the first suburbs of New Orleans, the community is connected to the northern region of Louisiana by the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, which is one of the world's longest bridges at 24 miles. Residents use it to get to and from work every day.
- It was once incorporated as a city for 17 years in order to obtain gas service to the region, however this didn't last long. Nearly 18 months after the arrangements were made, Metairie was unincorporated and has existed that way ever since.
- Its name is derived from the French words "moitie" (one-half) and "moitoire," which was a type of farming relationship from 12th century Europe wherein a landowner leased a part of his property to a farmer for half of the produce grown.
Useful Resources for New Metairie Residents
- The Lakeside Shopping Center is one of Louisiana's oldest and largest malls, located in the heart of Metairie. The complex is bursting with variety, as there are more than 120 stores and boutiques and a wide range of restaurants.
- Families can watch the New Orleans Zephyrs, the AAA affiliate of the Miami Marlins baseball team. The stadium, Zephyr Field, is located in Metairie and served as a headquarters for FEMA and the National Guard during Hurricane Katrina rescue operations.
What to Do in Metairie
Its close proximity to the hub of New Orleans and prime location on the shores of Lake Pontchartrain make Metairie one of the best places for families to rent homes in all of Louisiana.