Encounter Wonderful Houses for Rent in Jeffersonville, GA
Jefferson is a lovely community located in Twiggs County. It's approximately a half hour south from the city of Macon. Homes for rent allow families to get outdoors and watch some cars race at the Macon National Dragway, try out some soul food at the Robinson Fried Chicken restaurant, or take a trip to downtown Macon for an unforgettable shopping and dining experience.
Facts for Renters
- Twiggs County first came to be in 1809 and was named for Gen. John Twiggs, a hero in the Revolutionary War and the Indian Wars.
- The county seat was initially in the town of Marion. It was named after Gen. Francis Marion. However, in 1849 the county seat was moved to Jeffersonville. The Georgia Legislature approved the switch in 1850.
- The Twiggs County courthouse was burned down by a massive fire in February of 1901. The fire spread from Marion and slowly shifted to Jeffersonville. The courthouse was made of heavy wood and had recently been renovated. All of the court records were destroyed in the fire.
- The town of Jeffersonville dates back to a community known as Sandy Bottom. The community was incorporated as Raines' Store in 1828.
- The first elected mayor was T.S. Jones in 1901.
- In 1962, Jeffersonville was the first town to create a volunteer fire department certified in the state of Georgia.
- In 2010, the town's library burned to the ground. A new library opened its doors in 2013.
Resources for Residents
- Renters can learn more about the history of this little town by visiting the Jeffersonville website.
- Find out how to enroll your children in local schools by checking out the Twiggs County School District website.
- Get the daily scoop for news and more by reading the local newspaper, The Telegraph.