134 Houses for Rent in Macon, Georgia
Number of Bedrooms
Macon House Options
Explore Wonderful Houses for Rent in Macon, GA
Macon is a charming city located in Bibb County. Macon is approximately an hour and a half southeast of the city of Atlanta. Homes for rent allow families to check out the Allman Brothers Band Museum, listen to opera at the Grand Opera House or watch a game at the Luther Williams Ball Park.
Facts for Renters
- Macon was founded in 1832. The city was designed by James Webb, who hoped to model the city off of Babylon. Webb viewed Babylon's layout as the perfect city. Webb set aside 250 acres for a city park and asked that every resident plant trees in their front yards. Today, the city is still well-shaded thanks to its trees.
- The town lies on the Ocumulgee Old Fields, which were home to the Creek Indians for more than 10,000 years before settlers came to the area. The land's flat architecture is an ideal space for a community to flourish.
- Once settlers arrived, President Thomas Jefferson created a trading post as a symbol of peace and commerce. Today, a replica of the post sits in the town.
- In 1822, Bibb County was founded. Macon was named for Nathaniel Macon, a statesman and patriot from North Carolina. It became the county seat.
- During the Civil War, the town was spared by Gen. Sherman on his March to the Sea.
- In 1924, the Huff Daland Dusters operated in the town, dropping off mail for residents. It later became Delta Airlines.
Resources for Residents
- Renters can learn more about the vast history of this town by visiting the Macon city website.
- Find out how to get involved in local business by checking out the Macon Chamber of Commerce website.
- Read up on local stories and other news by visiting The Telegraph website.