The Perfect House for Rent Could be Yours in Waterloo, IA
Waterloo is the county seat of Black Hawk County, situated near Cedar Falls and Evansdale. A growing community with plenty of agricultural development, engineering opportunities and cultural diversity, Waterloo is a fantastic city to settle down in. Homes for rent offer access to an exciting economic atmosphere with family-friendly ideals that make it perfect for growing families.
Interesting Facts About Waterloo
- Waterloo was originally known as Prairie Rapids Crossing. According to local legend, Charles Mullan sparked the name change when he petitioned for a post office in town. Supposedly, he looked through a list of other post offices in the U.S. and came across "Waterloo." In 1851, a post office was established under that name, and the city eventually took it on.
- The city was first settled in 1845 by George and Mary Melrose Hanna and their children.
- The Waterloo Gasoline Traction Engine Company, Rath Packing Company, Illinois Central Railroad and the Maytag-Mason Motor Company were some of the first major employers in the city in the 20th century.
Helpful Resources for New Renters
- The city of Waterloo has a lovely website with everything a new resident needs to get acquainted with the community. With city news, arts and entertainment information, education links, parks and recreation programs, and more, the site is a must-visit for those new to Waterloo.
- Check out the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier for local news relevant to Waterloo renters. It has stories on everything from upcoming events to sports, animal control and lifestyle topics.
- The Waterloo Convention & Visitors Bureau is a great resource for renters who are looking for things to keep themselves busy with in their new community. It outlines local attractions, arts and culture opportunities, nightlife venues, outdoor recreation, dining, and more - there's always something going on!