Discover Amazing Houses for Rent in West Des Moines, IA
The city of West Des Moines spans three counties in Iowa: Polk, Dallas and Warren counties. Nestled right next to the capital city and near Urbandale and Waukee, homes for rent in this metropolis are ideally situated for those who need to travel to nearby cities for work. The award-winning community is also perfect for families looking to settle down and build fruitful, happy lives in Iowa.
Historical Facts About West Des Moines
- West Des Moines was incorporated on Oct. 9, 1893.
- At the time of its incorporation, West Des Moines was a small railroad town known as Valley Junction with a population of 500 people.
- On Jan. 1, 1938, Valley Junction adopted the new name of West Des Moines. Community leaders thought that the new name would boost the city's progress and lend it a more urban image after the decline of the railroad industry and the Great Depression.
- The first City Hall was built in 1905 for $900. The building also housed the city's first fire department.
- The West Des Moines Public Library was officially founded in 1943.
Helpful Resources for New Renters
- West Des Moines has a wonderful website that's brimming with information that new residents can use to get situated in their new city. From department contact information to upcoming attractions, forms, school information, government details and more, the site has everything a new renter needs.
- Check out the West Des Moines Community Schools website for more information about local education opportunities.
- Visit the public library's website for news on upcoming library events, ebooks, online catalogs and more.
- The Des Moines Register is the go-to source for local news. Its online edition has everything renters need to stay up to date on what's happening in the community.