Search Amazing Houses for Rent in Smithtown, NY
Smithtown is located in Suffolk County on the north shore of Long Island. It's situated near surrounding areas like Hauppauge, Commack and Centereach. With a scenic location, plenty of access to business and attractions and wonderful homes for rent in a charming community, Smithtown is a great place to put down roots and grow a family.
Historical Information About Smithtown
- Lyon Gardiner was the first Englishman to settle on eastern Long Island in 1639. He was given the lands along the river as a gift from the Montauk chieftain Wyandanch. As the chief of the Montauks, the largest tribe of Indians on Long Island, Wyandanch was recognized as the most powerful leader in the area.
- In 1663, Richard Smythe got a conveyance for the Nesaquake lands along the Nissequogue River from Lyon Gardiner. According to local legend, Richard Smythe rode a bull around the boundaries of Smithtown when he staked claim to the land. There's a statue of a bull in town today.
Useful Resources for Renters New to Smithtown
- Smithtown has a wonderful website that's got everything a new resident needs to learn about life in the community. From information about the local government to local department contacts, events calendars, frequently asked questions and parks and recreation information, this site is a one-stop shop for the town.
- The Smithtown Library is worth checking out at any time of year. With an extensive collection of books and other entertainment formats, as well as exhibits, programs and even access to museum passes, the library's site is a great resource for those looking to find something fun to do or learn something new.
- Check out the Historical Society's website for more information about the town's legendary beginnings.