692 Houses for Rent in Lafayette, California
Number of Bedrooms
Lafayette House Options
Nearby Zip Codes
Looking for more?
Discover Beautiful Houses for Rent in Lafayette, CA
The enchanting city of Lafayette is located in Contra Costa County, near Berkeley. The town is known for its charming hilly landscape and pastoral nature. Homes for rent let families explore the area, and visit places like the Lafayette Reservoir Recreation Area, where people can go hiking, fishing or even set up a picnic. Visitors can also check out the farmer's market, view a few paintings at local galleries or live sustainably using the city's community garden.
Facts for Renters
- Lafayette was discovered more than 10,000 years ago by the Saclans, a group of Mimwok settlers. In 1847, Elam Brown came to the county with his family of fourteen. Brown bought a 3,329-acre piece of land that is now considered present-day Lafayette.
- Brown and his neighbor became farmers after getting tired of traveling far for food. Brown built the town a grist mill and a steam mill. From there, the town grew into a community containing a blacksmith shop, a bar and a general store.
- The town became a resting stop of loggers bringing redwood trees to San Francisco.
- The area was initially known as Alcamus, but the town argued against it. In 1857, it was renamed La Fayette and in 1932 it was changed to Lafayette.
- Lafayette is still known for its farming roots, and promotes agriculture through a series of current events like its annual Art and Wine Festival.
Resources for Renters
- Interested in getting involved with local businesses? Check out Lafayette's Chamber of Commerce website.
- Want to plant in the community garden, but unsure of the regulations? Find out on Lafayette's town website.
- If you're looking to get your children enrolled in local schools, seek out the Lafayette School District's site.