Discover Perfect Houses for Rent in Fort Myers Beach, FL
Fort Myers Beach is an oceanside town on Estero Island. The community is located along Florida's west coast in Lee County. Fort Myers Beach is adjacent to San Carlos Island and Bonita Springs. The area is home to some full-time residents, as well as many seasonal occupants. Homes for rent in Fort Myers Beach are part of a vibrant local community that thrives on its businesses and beautiful beaches.
Facts for Future Residents
- Fort Myers Beach was incorporated in 1995, but settlers first established the community in 1862. The first residents made a living by fishing and growing crops to sell on the mainland in Estero.
- In the 1940s, fishermen realized that the waters off Fort Myers Beach were abundant in shrimp. Over the next decade, the population of the community doubled as its shrimping industry grew.
- The public Bay Oaks Recreational Campus is run by the town and is a popular spot for children of all ages. It includes basketball courts, tennis courts, a pool, disc golf course and a game room. There are also a number of youth programs that operate out of the center.
Useful Resources for Renters
- The Town of Fort Myers Beach official website provides island updates, emergency announcements and a calendar of local events for residents. There's also a special section for visitors that details area attractions.
- Children in the town attend Lee County Public Schools. For a list of school zones and faculty or to register your children, visit the district website.
- The Island Sand Paper reports on all the local happenings on Estero Island. It includes news on the beaches, businesses and events in Fort Myers Beach.