Find Nice Houses for Rent in Indialantic, FL
Indialantic is a small town located along Florida's eastern coast in Brevard County. The community is north of Melbourne Beach and separated from the city of Melbourne by the Indian River Lagoon. Indialantic is accessible by State Road A1A or U.S. Route 192, which bridges the Indian River. Towns in the area are predominantly suburban, as there isn't a lot of commerce on the barrier island. However, homes for rent in Indialantic are a short drive from businesses in Melbourne and Palm Bay.
Interesting Facts for Renters
- The town was incorporated in 1952, and its official name is Indialantic-by-the-Sea. The word "Indialantic" is a portmanteau of the two bodies of water that surround the community - the Indian River Lagoon and the Atlantic Ocean.
- When the area was first settled in 1915, it was only accessible by boat or ferry. The town's founder, Ernest Kouwen-Hoven, financed the construction of a wooden bridge in the early 1920s. It was used for many years but often needed repairs because the kerosene lanterns would catch fire.
- Indialantic was designated as a bird sanctuary in 1975 and is home to a wide variety of bird species and plant life.
Useful Resources for Renters
- The Indialantic town website provides information on the local government, town departments and popular area activities. Residents can also apply to be on a community board or for a parking pass through the website.
The Breeze, a biweekly regional newspaper from Florida Today, reports on Indialantic, Melbourne Beach and other communities in the area. It covers news on events, residents and laws in the region.
- Children who live in Indialantic attend Brevard County Public Schools. Renters can find information about school zones, academics and athletics on the district's website.