Discover Houses for Rent in Key Biscayne, FL
Key Biscayne is part of Miami Dade County. The community is found on an island just off the coast of Florida, placing it by Miami and Coral Gables. The town is also near the Biscayne Bay. Homes for rent on the island offer families a wide range of amenities, like Cantina Beach, Key Biscayne Beach Club, Sir Pizza, The Square Shopping Center, Village of Key Biscayne and Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park.
Interesting Facts About Key Biscayne
- The Tequesta Native American tribe were early inhabitants of the island, using its location to effectively hunt and fish.
- The island was involved with Spanish explorers in the 1500s. Juan Ponce de Leon dubbed the island Santa Marta. The King of Spain later gave the island to Pedro Fornelis. Fornelis was from the island of Minorca.
- The U.S. gained control of the island in the early 1800s.
- The island also witnessed pirate raids during its early history. The pirates used the vegetation on the island as cover for shipping raids.
- Many famous movies were filmed on the island in the 1940s. A prominent example was the John Wayne flick "They Were Expendable."
- Key Biscayne Hotel and Villas have been the haunt of many famous individuals during the island's history. One notorious example is the meeting that took place there between Richard Nixon and John F. Kennedy, subsequent to Nixon's loss to Kennedy in the 1960 presidential election.
- The island's slogan is "Island Paradise."
Resources for Renters
- The Village of Key Biscayne's website has ideal pages for renters. Upcoming events in the community are on the site, along with headlines from the town and more general pages on Key Biscayne's government and departments and services. There's also a summary of the community.
Key Biscayne's Chamber of Commerce has a website that provides a business directory and description of the chamber, among many other resources.