Discover Houses for Rent in Coral Gables, FL
Coral Gables is found in Miami-Dade County . The Atlantic Ocean is situated next to Coral Gables. The city also neighbors Palmetto Bay and Miami. There are many amenities, shops and civic locations available for families searching for homes for rent. Some of these notable locations include the Jaycee Park, the Titanic Restaurant & Brewery, Coral Gables War Memorial Youth Center, Coral Gables Library and numerous others.
History of Coral Gables
- The famed real estate developer George Merrick was the planner of the community of Coral Gables. Merrick formulated the design of Coral Gables based on the influential "Garden City" and "City Beautiful" movements that took the residential and architectural world by storm in the 19th and 20th century. The city was named after Merrick's childhood home.
- Merrick's father, Solomon Merrick, had purchased a significant amount of land in a move that would be indicative of his son's subsequent endeavors. The land Solomon bought was used to grow oranges, avocados and grapefruit.
- The city was officially incorporated in 1925.
- The famous Biltmore Hotel is located in Coral Gables, a perfect example of the city's architectural style. Franklin D. Roosevelt and Bing Crosby were both guests.
- Development surged again in Coral Gables after WWII, with many soldiers coming to the city.
Resources for Renters
- Coral Gables has a website for its chamber of commerce that gives residents a flavor of what it's like to work in the city. A detailed business directory is available on the site and the page on art, culture and entertainment will help a hard working renter decide what to do during his or her leisure hours.
- The city's official website has a variety of resources for businesses and residents.
- The Miami Dade Public Library System has a page specifically dedicated to the Coral Gables branch of the library.