Discover Houses for Rent in Longboat Key, FL
Longboat Key is a community found in two Florida counties, Manatee and Sarasota. Longboat Key is located on the west coast of Florida, placing it next to large bodies of water, such as Sarasota Bay and the Gulf of Mexico. Longboat Key is the neighbor of Sarasota and South Bradenton. Families looking for homes for rent can go sailing at Buttonwood Harbor in Longboat Key, shop at Avenue of the Flowers Town Plaza and MarineMax Sarasota, eat at Chart House, The Old Salty Dog or New Pass Grill & Bait Shop and explore various other locations.
Interesting Facts About Longboat Key
- The area of contemporary Longboat Key served as a vacation area for the Timucuan and Caloosa Native American tribes. The tribes reportedly used the area for picnics.
- Longboat Key was officially incorporated into Florida in 1955. Development in the community began to increase in the subsequent decades, primarily in the 1960s and 70s.
- During WWII, a time when Longboat Key was still relatively undeveloped, a target range for Army Air Force planes was located near Longboat Harbour.
- The Civil War veteran Thomas Mann was one of the first inhabitants on Longboat Key, taking advantage of the federal government's Homestead Act. Mann lived on the northern region, while his son had land on the southern portion of the key.
Resources for Renters
- The Town of Longboat Key's website is an comprehensive source that renters should utilize. The site has news and announcements, such as "Lights Out For Sea Turtles" for a period of the year. There are also pages on the site that allow residents to report concerns, explore the community's document center, municipal code, town government and contact information, along with other notable resources.
Longboat Key Chamber of Commerce's website has information relevant to inhabitants interested in the economic and business related aspects of Longboat Key.