Discover Houses for Rent in Mary Esther, FL
Mary Esther is a city directly across from Santa Rosa Island. Mary Esther is also near fellow Florida cities, such as Crestview and Pensacola. Homes for rent in Mary Esther put residents very close to the Hurlburt Field military base and amenities within the city, like Santa Rosa Mall.
History of Mary Esther
- The first settlers in Mary Esther were cattle herders who brought their cattle from Louisiana.
- A prominent settler in Mary Esther was John Newton, who came to the area in the mid-1850s. He was a teacher and minister who had a vast influence on the area, including establishing the first school.
- The name of the city has a number of rumored sources. A simple version is that Mary Esther was the name of John Newton's wife. Another suggests that the name of the city comes from a mixture of the names of Newton's daughters.
- The city was officially incorporated in 1946.
- Santa Rosa Mall's opening in the 1970s was the catalyst for the development of Mary Esther.
Resources for Renters
- The City of Mary Esther's website details the unique aspects of life in the city, such as Mary Esther's community garden. The site includes information about the garden, the rules pertaining to the garden and a photo gallery. The site also contains more generic information that will be useful to renters in Mary Esther, such as an overview of the city administration, officials, departments, calendar and contact information. Other resources include a meeting schedule and newsletters.
- Mary Esther is part of Okaloosa County, so the county school district's website will be a helpful guide to education in Mary Esther and the broader area, including pages on programs, schools and bus schedules.