26 Houses for Rent in Old Town, Maine
Number of Bedrooms
Old Town House Options
Discover Amazing Houses for Rent in Old Town, ME
Old Town is a city in Maine's Penobscot County. It's located near Orono, Glenburn and Hudson on several islands in the Penobscot River. Homes for rent in Old Town put renters in close proximity to the Great North Woods, offering acres of forest and water that are ideal for hunters, fishermen, hikers, canoeists, bird watchers and photographers. With a fabulous atmosphere and every amenity a modern renter needs, the community is a great place to settle down.
Historical Facts About Old Town
- Present-day Indian Island was the headquarters of the Tarratine Native American tribe before the first white settlers came. The Tarratines are direct ancestors of the Penobscots. The island's central location made it convenient for their seasonal migrations, and it was also more easily defended than some of their other settlements. The name Old Town is an acknowledgment of this heritage.
- Joseph Marsh built a home on the south end of the island that now bears his name in 1774.
- The early economy in Old Town was fueled by the lumber industry. The city's economic development was sparked in 1798 when Richard Winslow built a water-powered sawmill. Access to woods, water and markets ensured the area's success.
Helpful Resources for New Renters
- Old Town has a great website with all the information a new renter needs to get acquainted with the community. Everything from upcoming events to announcements, department and government contact information, and meeting agendas and minutes can be found there.
- The Old Town Public Library has more resources for new renters and their families to take advantage of. Check out the new arrivals to the online catalog for entertainment options.
- Penobscot County's website is full of details about the community and its surrounding area, including a calendar of events with fun family activities.
Additional Houses For Rent
Common questions asked in Old Town, Maine
🏠 Where can I find cheap rental houses in Old Town, Maine?
Check out Rentals.com's cheap rental houses in Old Town. You can use our price filters to find rental houses in your price range