Find Your Next House for Rent in Lewiston, ME
Lewiston is a city in Maine's Androscoggin County, and it's the second-largest city in the state. It's located northwest of Brunswick, next to Sabattus. Homes for rent in the city offer residents access to many modern amenities, including Auburn-Lewiston Airport, local colleges and universities like Bates College, and medical centers. The family-friendly atmosphere and picturesque location make it the perfect place to settle down in the Northeast.
Historical Facts About Lewiston
- The Pejepscot Proprietors, a Boston-based land company, granted Jonathan Bagley and Moses Little of Newbury, Massachusetts, land on the east side of the Androscoggin River in 1768. Fifty families settled there, and the site was named Lewistown after Job Lewis, a Boston merchant and former Proprietor.
- The residents of the town wanted to be officially incorporated, and they finally were in February 1795.
- Early residents took advantage of the local waterway and used it to make a dam and canal in 1808 and 1809. In 1809, Michael Little built saw, grist and fulling mills next to the falls.
- The first bridge in town was built in 1823.
Useful Resources for New Renters
- Lewiston has a great website that has everything a new renter needs to settle down in his or her new community. From government contact info to event calendars, services, department links and more, the site is worth visiting prior to relocating.
- The Androscoggin County Chamber of Commerce has a site with more information about the local area that residents may find worthwhile. It details everything from must-try restaurants to art galleries, performances and festivals in the county.
- Parents of prospective students should check out the Lewiston Public Schools website to find out more information about the local educational offerings. It has registration instructions and schedules that residents will need.