Discover Houses for Rent in Watervliet, NY
Located on the western banks of the Hudson, just across the river from Troy, N.Y., Watervliet is a charming city with an active community of residents. If you find a home for rent in Watervliet, you'll discover that it's near enough to the state capital of Albany to make the commute to work manageable.
5 Interesting Facts About Watervliet
- In 1790, Watervliet had a population almost twice the size of Albany.
- The name "Watervliet" refers to the overflow area north of Foxes Creek. It's a Dutch word that means "water flood."
- Watervliet's first town meeting was held at the home of William Kane in April 1809. Kane was among the first residents of Watervliet.
- The oldest continually active military arsenal in the United States is located in Watervliet.
- In 1774, Shakers settled the area now known as Watervliet.
Helpful Resources for Watervliet Renters
- Whether you need to look up something in the city code or read the community newsletter, Watervliet's official website is an invaluable resource.
- Many Watervliet residents enjoy strolling along the river in Hudson Shores Park. Check the weather forecast before you leave to make sure it will be a beautiful day for a walk.
- Will you be raising children in Watervliet? The Watervliet City School District website contains tons of helpful information.
Things to Do in and Around Watervliet
Because renters in Watervliet live just 6 miles north of the state capital, they often travel down to Albany to go shopping or grab a bite to eat at one of its delicious eateries. Short trips up the river to visit Peebles Island are also popular - it's a great place to go hiking and fishing. The Watervliet Arsenal Museum is a prominent destination, and residents occasionally make the trip to Frear Park Golf Course to hit a few balls.