Find Houses for Rent in Waterford, NY
The tiny town of Waterford, N.Y., lies on a small plot of land where the Hudson and Mohawk rivers meet. Combined with the Village of Waterford, this community is a lovely place to find a home for rent. The town lies just 12 miles north of Albany and 5 miles north of Troy, making it ideally situated for residents to live peaceful lives that are just a short car ride away from big-city amenities.
Interesting Facts About Waterford
- The Village of Waterford is located within the town, and is the oldest continually incorporated village in the U.S.
- The land where Waterford now sits was originally purchased by Colonel Jacobus Van Schoonhoven in 1784.
- Waterford was created in 1816, when the town broke away from Halfmoon.
- The Town of Waterford wasn't formally incorporated until several years after the village, which was incorporated in 1801.
Top Resources for Renters in Waterford
- The official websites of the town and village of Waterford contain important information like events happening in the community and minutes from recent government meetings.
- Are you planning to raise children in Waterford? Be sure to check out the Waterford-Halfmoon Union Free School District.
- Before taking a trip out to Peebles Island, take a look at the weather forecast.
Things to Do in and Around Waterford
Because Waterford residents live at the junction of two rivers (not to mention the junction of the Erie and Champlain canals), there are numerous water-related activities they can pursue, including canoeing and kayaking. Less outdoorsy renters can take a shopping trip to nearby Albany or frequent one of the many small businesses in the town and village. Sugarloaf Pond Park is also a great place to picnic during the summer months.