Discover Houses for Rent in New Smyrna Beach, FL
New Smyrna Beach is a seaside city that's part of Volusia County. The city is close to Port Orange and Daytona Beach, two other urban areas found along the Atlantic Ocean. Families searching for homes for rent have leisure opportunities to explore in New Smyrna Beach, such as locations like New Smyrna Beach Golf Course and Otter Park South, while residents can eat at restaurants that bear a distinct beach-city feel, such as Dolphin View Restaurant, which overlooks a dock.
Interesting Facts About New Smyrna Beach
- New Smyrna Beach began when the land was granted to a Scottish doctor and businessman, Andrew Turnbull, by the British government in the 1700s. Turnbull used it to build a large colony dedicated to producing various crops, such as hemp, indigo, cotton, corn and rice.
- The coastline of New Smyrna Beach was once full of traces of an early Native American settlement.
- Henry Flagler, who had a large influence on Florida, developed the Florida East Coast Railway in the late 1800s. This had a significant influence on the development of New Smyrna Beach, helping to foster the fishing, tourism and citrus industries.
Resources for Renters
- The city's official website has up-to-date news on developments in New Smyrna Beach, from everyday pieces of information, such as road closures, to the dates of upcoming events, like the New Smyrna Beach Economic Summit. The site also has a page called "Beach Information" that outlines beach safety tips and daily forecasts. The city government is also detailed on the site - residents can check out its annual report.
- The New Smyrna Museum of History's website is a resource residents can use to learn about the museum and the early history of the city.