Find Houses for Rent in McHenry, IL
McHenry is a city located in McHenry County. It's approximately an hour from the city of Waukegan. Homes for rent allow families to visit Moraine Hills State Park, check out a few local animals at Stade's Farm and Market or watch a movie at the McHenry Outdoor Theater.
Facts for Renters
- McHenry was developed in the early 1800s after people moved through the area during the Black Hawk War.
- The town had a sawmill, a hotel and ferryboat in operation by 1837. Legislation also was created that year to develop McHenry County. Gristmills began to pop up along Boone Creek and soon the Riverside Hotel was built, which still stands today.
- One of the town residents, George Gage, was the state's first senator and was able to secure the route of the Fox Valley Railroad from Chicago in 1854. The area was initially called Gagetown and later changed to West McHenry. The two towns still hold a rivalry to this day.
- The town was officially incorporated in 1872. The incorporation allowed local businesses to flourish.
- The local newspaper, the McHenry Plaindealer, was in publication until 1985.
Resources for Renters
- Check out more about the history of this county seat or find out what there is to do in the town by visiting the McHenry website.
- Learn about breaking news in the area or local current events by visiting the Northwest Herald website.
- Find out information on school bake sales, local fundraising events and when school holidays are by checking out the McHenry School District 15 website.