Find Houses for Rent in Lake in the Hills, IL
Lake in the Hills is a charming community located in McHenry County. It's approximately an hour and 20 minutes away from Chicago. Homes for rent allow families to catch a flick at the local AMC theater, try out some sushi at Bistro Wasabi or enjoy the best bagels in the area at the Einstein Bros.
Facts for Renters
- Lake in the Hills was founded in 1923 when one of the main settlers, Judge Walter La Buy, began to purchase land that surrounded the lake. Fifty years later, the area had developed into 472 acres. He built five houses on the land for his children. One of the houses still stands today in its original form. The rest of the other ones have been altered and expanded on. All five resemble gingerbread houses, which was a popular style in Europe.
- Today, the lake is much bigger than it was originally since townspeople added onto it.
- In the 1940s, the village people created a small island that sits just a few feet from the lake. The island can be accessed by a small footbridge.
- Many of the homes were initially built as summer properties, but homeowners began using them year-round.
- The town was officially incorporated into the state in 1952.
Resources for Renters
- Learn more about the expansive history of this small town by visiting the Lake in the Hills website.
- Find out how to become involved with the P.T.O. or when the next school fundraising event is by checking out the District 158, District 300, District 47 or District 155 websites.
- Get your daily fix of local breaking news, current events and other hot topics by reading the Northwest Herald.