Find Houses for Rent in Southbridge, MA
Southbridge is a town in western Massachusetts within Worcester Country and is 33 minutes from Worcester. Homes for rent in this area are desirable because you get to live in the quiet suburb located directly outside of an exciting large city. Residents enjoy all there is to do in Southbridge, including checking out the Eye Glass Monument, which teaches visitors about the history of eyeglasses. If you're going on a date, check out the Notre Dame Parish, known for its romantic setting and unique architecture. If you're an avid cyclist, look no further than the Charlton Street Mountain Bike Trails, where you can ride for hours.
Facts for Renters
- Southbridge was initially occupied by local Native American tribes and was settled by John Winthrop and others in 1638.
- This town is one of a couple in the state that have been granted to be a city based on their size but have actively decided to remain a town.
- Southbridge started as a parish that was formed by settlers from other surrounding towns. One of the first settlers was Moses Marcy, whose house today is the Notre Dame Parish.
- The town was the site of many sawmills and gristmills and became a popular destination to settle down after the Civil War ended.
- Southbridge is best known for its development of optical gear, including eyeglasses. Due to this growth, the town became known as the "Eye of the Commonwealth."
Resources for Renters
- Get to know more about this town and find out what optical manufacturing is like today by visiting the Southbridge website.
- Figure out how you can sign up for volunteer programs at the local schools by checking out the Southbridge School District website.
- Learn more about what you can expect for events around town by picking up a copy of the Stonebridge Press.