Search for the Perfect House for Rent in Gretna, NE
Gretna is a city in Sarpy County, Nebraska. It's one of the fastest-growing cities in the state, and it's located near Millard and Papillion. The city is just off of I-80, Highway 370 and Highway 6/31, meaning that those living in homes for rent will have easy commutes to nearby Omaha. The Platte and Elkhorn rivers are also close-by, giving residents access to plentiful outdoor recreation.
Historical Facts About Gretna
- Gretna was created soon after the Burlington Railroad built a short line between Omaha and Ashland in 1886.
- The creation of Gretna shut down the nearby trading post of Forest City, which was built in 1856. Forest City was a busy place, but the railroad made it unnecessary. Today there is a cemetery on the site of old Forest City.
- The Lincoln Land Company surveyed and plotted Gretna in 1887.
- The village was incorporated in 1889.
- The city's name comes from Scotland's Gretna Green, which was where some of the earliest settlers were from.
Helpful Resources for New Renters
- Check out Gretna's official website for more information and resources that will help new renters get set up in the community. It has everything from local news to event calendars, online forms, city maps, department contact information and details about the city's facilities.
- The Gretna Chamber of Commerce has a useful site that can further help new residents get acquainted with all that Gretna has to offer. It also has a comprehensive guide to the area's businesses, which can come in handy when you're trying to find out where to shop for the essentials.
- Gretna Public Library's website is a great tool to use for research or entertainment. It has all kinds of information about fun, family-friendly library events and outlines the facility's offerings. The online catalog can help you find whatever you're looking for, whether it's a book, movie or magazine.