Search Ideal Houses for Rent in Omaha, NE
Omaha is the largest city in Nebraska and the seat of Douglas County. The city is surrounded by other happening communities that offer plenty of their own amenities, like Council Bluffs and Bellevue. As the most populous city in the state, Omaha is a great place to find homes for rent, raise a family and meet plenty of friendly neighbors.
Intriguing Historical Facts About Omaha
- The land that eventually became Omaha was acquired as part of the Louisiana Purchase, which was completed in 1803.
- The Omaha Indians used to live in the area. The word "Omaha" means "against the current." Some believe they were called this because of their early migratory habits.
- After the Kansas-Nebraska Act passed, the land across from Council Bluffs, Iowa, was opened to settlers. Businessman Jesse Lowe chose the name of the city as "Omaha City."
- Omaha was officially incorporated in 1857.
Helpful Resources for New Renters
- Omaha's official website is a hub of information that new residents will appreciate in their efforts to familiarize themselves with the city. It has city-related news, event calendars, department contact information, recreation opportunities and other resources that are sure to be useful.
- The Omaha Convention & Visitors Bureau runs a website that has all kinds of details about what there is to do in the city. From places to eat, shop, dance, drink and hang out, to upcoming attractions, the site outlines every possible activity in the area.
- The Omaha World-Herald's website is a great local news source that also touches upon topics throughout the country and the world. It can help keep residents up to date on what's happening outside of their doorsteps.
- Check out the University of Nebraska Omaha's Web page to look into education opportunities and browse upcoming events.