Discover Houses for Rent in Niskayuna, NY
Happily situated on the banks of the Mohawk River, Niskayuna, N.Y., is a vibrant community located just outside of Schenectady. The town has a long history dating back to the 17th century, and is an ideal place to find a home for rent and raise a family.
5 Interesting Facts About Niskayuna
- The area now known as Niskayuna was first occupied by the Iroquois (also known as Mohawk), but the Dutch settled there in 1640.
- The town's name is derived from the Algonkian-Mohawk word meaning "corn fields" or "corn flats."
- The Town of Niskayuna became a political entity on the same day as the County of Schenectady - March 7, 1809.
- The public schools in Niskayuna have been nationally recognized for their excellence.
- The town has been home to several notable residents over the years, including Ivar Giaever, the 1972 winner of the Nobel Prize in physics, and Jeff Blatnick, winner of the gold medal in wrestling at the 1984 Summer Olympics.
Helpful Resources for Niskayuna Renters
- If you plan to enroll your children in Niskayuna's excellent public school system, be sure to browse the school district's website.
- There are several beautiful parks in Niskayuna, including Blatnick Park and Lock 7 Park, which is right on the river. Check the weather forecast before embarking on a day of outdoor activities.
- Visit the town's official website for important information, like where your polling place is and the day of the week your trash will be picked up.
Things to Do in and Around Niskayuna
Renters in Niskayuna have access to all the activities offered to Schenectady residents, as it's only 5 miles away. Catch a show at Proctor's Theatre or spend the day shopping at Crossgates Mall. Pet owners will love taking their furry friends to the Niskayuna Dog Park, and kids can take part in a variety of recreation programs offered by the town.