Discover Houses for Rent in Tonawanda, NY
You'll find Tonawanda, N.Y., on the U.S. border with Canada, happily situated on the banks of the Niagara River and Erie Canal. But don't let this city's northern location fool you - it has much more to it than the occasional blanket of snow. People who find homes for rent in Tonawanda become part of a city that values nature, its history and community.
5 Intriguing Facts About Tonawanda
- The Neuter and Erie Native Americans were the first inhabitants of the area and gave Tonawanda its name.
- Tonawanda means "swift waters." It's believed that this refers to the current of the Niagara River.
- The Village of Tonawanda was burned by the British during the War of 1812.
- The Town of Tonawanda was founded in 1836. The City of Tonawanda eventually split from the town in 1903.
- Tonawanda owes its swift development during the 1820s to the construction of the Erie Canal, which brought a new wave of workers and settlers to the area.
Helpful Resources for Tonawanda Renters
- With so much natural beauty surrounding them, Tonawanda residents enjoy spending plenty of time outside. Before heading out on an outdoor adventure, check the weather forecast.
- Want to read up on Tonawanda's code of ordinances or check out the community calendar? The city's official website is full of helpful information, as is the official website of the Town of Tonawanda.
- If you plan to raise children in Tonawanda, you'll need to browse the school district's website.
Things to Do in and Around Tonawanda
Tonawanda renters take part in a variety of activities, such as taking kayak and canoe trips down the Niagara River and biking through one of the many parks in the city. You can also catch a show at Riviera Theatre, see a concert at Gateway Harbor or take a day trip to Niagara Falls.