Locate Houses for Rent in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Situated less than 10 miles from the city of Mission Viejo, this California community in Orange County is one of the area's youngest cities. The master-planned community has homes for rent that sit atop rolling hills near the high plateau of Plano Trabuco.
Fun Facts About Rancho Santa Margarita
- Until Jan. 1, 2000, La Cañada Flintridge had the longest city name in California at 18 letters. However, Rancho Santa Margarita secured the title upon its incorporation with 20 letters.
- On July 23, 1769, Native Americans were visited by a Spanish expedition led by Capt. Gaspar de Portola. The location is now home to many shopping centers, neighborhoods and schools.
- In 1948, the O'Neill family donated 278 acres of land to Orange County to build parks. They donated an additional 120 acres in 1963, the same year that they founded the Mission Viejo Company and drew up blueprints for a master-planned community.
- Rancho Santa Margarita operates under the council-manager form of government as a general law city. It's also a contract city, as police services are provided through the Orange County Sheriff's office, and firefighters are pulled from the Orange County Fire Authority.
Helpful Resources for New Renters
- The City of Rancho Santa Margarita website is the best source of information regarding the city's many events and happenings, with a calendar and minutes from council meetings. Residents can access maps of the community and search for job openings in the area.
- Education is managed by the Saddleback Valley Unified School District, which services the entirety of Orange County with top-notch facilities and experienced teachers and administrators. Through an engaging environment, students are coached to thrive in life after graduation and give back to their community.