Find Houses for Rent in Semmes, AL
Less than 30 minutes from Mobile, Semmes is a small city with a suburban feel and a number of local amenities. Homes for rent in Semmes have easy access to shops that meet daily needs in addition to the diverse attractions that abound in nearby Mobile.
Interesting Things to Know About Semmes
- The single-room Semmes School is the oldest regularly used school in Alabama. The school has been active since 1902. A reproduction of the Mt. Pleasant Church can also be found at the location.
- Semmes was incorporated as a city in May 2011, making it Alabama's 461st precinct. The community population at the time was 2,897.
- Plant nurseries in Semmes grow numerous azaleas and other ornamental plants that are distributed throughout the nation.
- When it was first founded around the turn of the 20th century, Semmes centered around the local railroad. Locomotives traveling on this line provided both passenger transportation and the shipment of yellow pine.
Useful Resources for Renters in Semmes
- Those interested in doing business in Semmes or in nearby Mobile can explore the Mobile Area Chamber of Commerce website.
- To stay in the loop about local government and departments, the City of Semmes official website can be a welcome asset.
What to Do Around Semmes
Just down the road from Semmes, golfers may find their hobby haven. The Magnolia Grove location of The Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail is home to three different courses, including a short course praised by Golf Digest magazine. A little farther up the street is the Azalea City Golf Course, which has holes with panoramic lake views. If golf isn't your thing, but you've got an appreciation for the arts, the Mobile Museum of Art may become a favorite destination near Semmes rentals. The museum is home to several collections that contain art from exotic locales like Asia and Africa.