Find Houses for Rent in Amherst, OH
A small city, Amherst, Ohio, has a tight-knit community and historic downtown area that makes it an ideal place to find a home for rent. Amherst is located just 5 miles from Lake Erie and less than 35 miles west of Cleveland, making it a wonderful place to raise a family. The city is known for its public school system and thriving local businesses.
4 Intriguing Facts About Amherst
- Amherst is the self-proclaimed "Sandstone Center of the World" because of the numerous sandstone quarries it had during the 1800s.
- The area now known as Amherst was first called Plato, and then Amherstville, before gaining its current name.
- The history of the city's newspaper, The Amherst News-Times, dates back to the late 1800s.
- Jacob Shupe, the "founding father" of Amherst, purchased land and made the first clearing in the area in 1811.
Helpful Resources for Amherst Renters
- If you plan to raise children in Amherst, you'll want to become familiar with Amherst Exempted Village Schools.
- Before spending the day at Amherst Beaver Creek Park, be sure to take a look at the weather forecast.
- Downtown is the epicenter of activity in Amherst. Learn more about everything it has to offer on the Main Street Amherst website.
Things to Do in and Around Amherst
Renters living in Amherst will find plenty of things to do. From day trips to the shores of Lake Erie to visits to the Fox Creek Golf & Racquet Club, there are no shortage of activities available in and around the city. Do some shopping in Amherst's historic downtown area, grab a bite to eat at Cork's or Stubby's Pub and Grill, or hike through Dolyk Wood Nature Preserve. You can even take a short trip to Cleveland to see all that the city has to offer.