Explore Houses for Rent in Johnston, RI
Johnston is a town rich with history and located just a 15 minute drive from the conveniences of the capital of Rhode Island, Providence. Situated near the Connecticut communities of Dayville and Ledyard, homes for rent in Johnston are less than an hour's drive to the south of Boston. Like many towns in Rhode Island and Connecticut, Johnston is home to several insurance companies and boasts a proud community of Italian-American heritage. Despite its name, Snake Den State Park, which is located within the town, boasts several hiking and jogging trails for adventurous types.
Important Resources for Residents
- The website for the town of Johnston offers access to public records, information on elections and registration and an electronic mapping system for residents interested in looking up property limits.
- The Johnston Sun Rise is a daily newspaper printed for free for residents to keep them up to date on all the current news and events of the town.
- In addition to producing general meetings on preservation tips, the Johnston Historical Society also hosts clean-up activities around the town, yard sales for citizens to buy and sell their wares and fundraisers for a variety of causes.
Historical Facts About Johnston
- The Clemence Irons House in Johnston was built in 1691 in the "stone-ender" fashion which was once a common construction methods for homes throughout New England. Today, the Clemence Irons House is one of the oldest structures in the region.
- The town was originally named for colonial attorney general Augustus Johnston. When the American Revolution broke out, the Loyalist Johnston was forced to flee from the pro-independence citizens of the town.
What to Do in Johnston
Life in Johnston combines all the excitement and convenience of living near a city with the quaintness of a small New England community.