Discover Houses for Rent in Venice
Venice is located in Sarasota County. When it comes to population, the area is known for a large quantity of snowbirds that inhabit the air and land. The Centennial Park, located in the main downtown area, is a fun place for kids to cool off in the public water fountains or hang out in the gazebo. Splash around at Venice Beach or hit the bike trails on a day off. These family-oriented activities are just a few reasons families look for homes to rent in Venice.
Interesting Points About Venice FL
- Early American pioneers Henry Ford and Thomas Edison made a pit stop in Venice in the 1920s to attend a meeting with locomotive representatives.
- The first American to call Venice home was Richard Roberts in the 1870s. He made a fortune from selling canned citrus products like lemon juice and orange wine.
- The name 'Venice' was chosen by the first postmaster Darwin Curry and a gentleman named Frank Higel who purchased some of Roberts' stocks.
- Development in the area was driven by the completion of the railroad in 1911. Around the same time, a Chicago woman named Mrs. Potter Palmer bought a bunch of land and began to sell property in Venice.
- The Lord-Higel home is the oldest residence building in the city. It was built in 1896. It held a citrus plantation when it was first built. The property remains an attraction for tourists and history buffs.
Resources for Renters
General information can be found on the city's website. Check it out to learn more about local parks and recreational activities.
- To look into education, check out Sarasota County Schools where 41,000 students are currently enrolled in 52 different schools. It's 1 out of 10 of the "A" districts in the state.