Find Houses for Rent in Athens, AL
Athens is located in beautiful Limestone County, and serves as the county seat. Those looking for homes for rent in the area will love the classic Southern feel of this small but thriving city. The city prides itself on being a heritage city, with a rich history dating back to the early 1800s. It's located just 20 minutes driving distance from the city of Decatur, which offers a number of business, cultural and entertainment opportunities.
4 Things to Know About Athens' History
- Athens was acquired as a part of the Mississippi Territory purchase from the Cherokee nation by the U.S. government. The first settlement occurred in 1807, and the town became incorporated in 1818, one year before Alabama was established as a state in 1819.
- One of the more progressive cities for women's education, the people of Athens created the Athens Female Academy in 1822. The college was later named Athens Female College before becoming simply Athens College. The school is now known as Athens State University and is open to all students.
- Due to the city's early railroad involvement, Athens became a strategic site in the Civil War. It became a supply route for Union Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman, however, it was later raided by Union Col. John Basel Turchin in 1862.
- Get a better feel for Athens rich heritage as a great Southern city by watching this video from the Athens Chamber of Commerce Visitors site.
3 Helpful Resources for Renters in Athens
- Learn more about the history of Athens as well as the city's services at its official website. You can also find permit and license information there.
- Find the latest news and community events in the Athens News Courier, which is available online.
- Community members can find out more about the city's many businesses by visiting the Athens-Limestone Chamber of Commerce.