Search Ideal Houses for Rent in Brunswick, ME
Brunswick is a town in Maine's Cumberland County that's part of the Portland-South Portland-Biddeford metropolitan area. It's situated close to Freeport and Bath on the Androscoggin River. The coastal heritage of the town and "Vacationland" attitude make homes for rent very attractive to renters from all walks of life.
Historical Facts About Brunswick
- Brunswick was settled in 1628. It was known as "Pejepscot," its Indian name, for more than 100 years afterward. The town was officially incorporated as Brunswick in 1739, when Maine was part of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
- Brunswick's Maine Street was planned by the "Pejepscot Proprietors" in 1717. They specifically made the road 198 feet wide so that travelers between Fort Pejepscot and Maquoit Bay would always be about 100 feet from the woods on either side, which was intended to prevent ambushes.
- The Androscoggin River Falls greatly contributed to the town's early industrial landscape. Lumber was a big export that was often used for shipbuilding. Paper, soap, flour, carriages, plows, furniture, shoes, bricks, cotton and textiles were also produced by the town over its history.
Helpful Resources for New Renters
- The town of Brunswick has a lovely website that's chock-full of information that new residents can use to get acquainted with the community. It has everything from an upcoming events calendar to a rundown of the local departments and facilities.
- Check out the Brunswick Downtown Association's website for more details on upcoming events and attractions and an explanation of where to eat, shop and visit while you're getting accustomed to the atmosphere.
- Bowdoin College is located in town, and its website is a great resource for those interested in pursuing higher education or reading up on more details about hosted events and speakers.