Discover Your Next House for Rent in Scarborough, ME
Scarborough is a town in Cumberland County on the southern coast of Maine. It's situated near Cape Elizabeth and Old Orchard Beach. Homes for rent in town offer residents access to various amenities and opportunities, whether they're modernists, outdoor enthusiasts, beach-goers or anything in between. As one of the fastest growing communities in the state, Scarborough is a great place to relocate and settle down.
Historical Information About Scarborough
- The area that's now Scarborough was one of the first to be settled on the New England coast. Settlers were drawn to it because of the harbor, forest and plentiful fish and wildlife.
- In the early 1600s, John Stratton built a trading post on the island off of Scarborough's shore, which still has his name today.
- The first settlement at Black Point was the 1,500-acre Cammock's Grant in the 1630s. Black Point included all of the land in between the Saco and Spurwink rivers. Twenty years later, there were a total of 50 homes. Today, the grant is now known as Prouts Neck.
- The town was incorporated in 1658 and named for Scarborough, England.
Helpful Resources for New Renters
- The town of Scarborough has a useful website that has everything new renters need to feel comfortable in the community. The site has all kinds of information, like details regarding local government, town services, public safety, development, community events, recreation and more.
- Parents should check out the Scarborough School Department's site to get up to speed on what's happening in the local schools.
- The Scarborough Public Library has a site where residents can look up books or movies on the online catalog and view upcoming events that are open to renters of all ages.