Discover Great Houses for Rent in Shelton, CT
Just up the Housatonic River from Stratford and Milford, Shelton is a residential city in southwestern Connecticut. Homes for rent in Shelton are in what's been called the "Best affordable suburb" by Bloomberg Businessweek. Shelton has a strong economy, with a number of famous businesses calling the city home, including the pen company Bic. Although known for its nice homes and thriving industries, there's still plenty of green land around. Families can go to East Village Park or Indian Well State Park for a hike with the dog, or parents can go hit a few balls at Brownson Country Club.
Fun Facts For Future Renters
- Shelton has been known by a wide variety of names before settling on the one that stuck. Originally part of Stratford to the south, it's been called Coram, Ripton and Huntington before being changed to Shelton in 1882.
- Originally settled in 1639, Shelton saw a lot of success as a mill town because of the river, but has since adapted to find modern industrial success.
- Shelton is part of Fairfield County, one of the most historically wealthy counties in the U.S.
Helpful Resources for Residents
- Headquartered on Long Hill Avenue, the Shelton Public Schools serve the children of the city from kindergarten through high school graduation.
- The well-organized City of Shelton website connects residents with the tools they need to communicate with government officials, contact public safety services and follow local events.
- Shelton has its own small town newspaper. The Shelton Herald delivers the news that local residents are interested in.
Live in Shelton
Shelton is a great city in a stellar location. Near Route 8, residents are close to Interstate 95, Bridgeport, Norwalk, Stamford and even New York City. Families will like the small-town feel of Shelton combined with the big-city services.