Discover Great Houses for Rent in Andover, MA
Like many of the state's towns, Andover, Mass., is rich with history. Those looking for homes for rent in the area will love Andover if they're history buffs and want a buffer between themselves and the hustle and bustle of Boston. It's a town with great schools and neighborhoods that's perfect for settling down, building a career and starting a family.
Interesting Facts About Andover
- Less than 20 miles from Salem, Andover was heavily involved in the witch trials. In the late 1600s, a number of Salem residents accused several Andover women of being witches, and many were convicted and executed.
- Andover's influence on American history continued into the Revolutionary War, as more than 300 Andover men marched on Lexington on the morning of April 19, 1776. Two months later, these same men fought in the battle of Bunker Hill. One of them was Samuel Phillips Jr., who played a big role in the drafting of the Massachusetts Constitution.
- In the 1800s, the anti-slavery movement had many supporters from Andover, who provided stops along the Underground Railroad during the Civil War. One of the residents who stayed in Andover for an extended period of time was Harriet Beecher Stowe, author of "Uncle Tom's Cabin."
Important Resources for Andover Residents
Fun Things to Do in Andover
- There are many cultural attractions around the town, such as the Addison Gallery of American Art, which features a large selection of world-class American art.
- The Ward Reservation features historical information, hiking trails and a hill that looks out over the whole state. It's a great place to see the Boston skyline.