776 Houses for Rent in Yonkers, New York
Number of Bedrooms
Yonkers House Options
Discover Houses for Rent in Yonkers, NY
Yonkers, N.Y., hugs the eastern bank of the Hudson River just north of the Bronx. It's one of New York's largest cities and is less than 20 miles from Manhattan. With a long history and plenty of things to do and see, Yonkers is a wonderful place to find a home for rent, particularly if you work in New York City.
5 Interesting Facts About Yonkers
- Yonkers' long history began in the late 1640s when Adriaen Van der Donck received a land grant from the Dutch East India Company and built one of the first saw mills in the New World.
- The name of the city evolved over the centuries from Van der Donck's nickname of "Jonk Herr" (which means "young nobleman"), to "the Younkers," to "the Yonkers" and, finally, just "Yonkers."
- Yonkers has 52 neighborhoods.
- The first street lighting in the U.S. was introduced in Yonkers in 1861.
- Edwin H. Armstrong invented FM radio broadcasting in Yonkers in 1912.
Helpful Resources for Yonkers Renters
- On the official website of Yonkers, you can learn more about the services the city offers and browse the community events calendar.
- If you don't feel like making the drive from Yonkers to New York City, it's easy to take the train.
- Before setting a tee time at Sprain Lake Golf Course, take a look at the weather forecast.
Things to Do in and Around Yonkers
People who live in Yonkers visit the nearby Bronx Zoo, stroll through Sprain Ridge Park or pack a picnic and head to Tibbetts Brook Park. Yonkers is also located near the New York Botanical Gardens and is home to the Hudson River Museum. Renters can curl up with a book at the Yonkers Public Library, partake in the annual Yonkers Hudson Riverfest and visit Philipse Manor Hall State Historic Site.