Find Your Next House for Rent in Pelham, AL
Pelham is a thriving suburb of Birmingham, Ala., that caters to families of all types. With top-notch city services, award-winning schools, access to plenty of wilderness opportunities and low crime rates, this Alabama city might just be where you and yours decide to settle down for good.
Interesting Facts About the History of Pelham
- Pelham was officially incorporated as a city on July 10, 1964, with a total population of just 654.
- The first court of Shelby County was established in what's now Pelham around 1820. The area was known as Shelbyville at the time, but some historians refer to it as Middleton, since it was near the middle of the county.
- The city was renamed Pelham sometime after the Civil War, to commemorate Confederate Maj. John Pelham, who fought in more than 60 battles. The battle at Fredericksburg was his most successful, where he confused a Union army of 120,000 men with a one-gun barrage from their flank.
- The first city hall was located in the old Pelham school, which was demolished in 1975. The present city hall was built on the same site.
Useful Resources for New Renters in Pelham
- Check out Pelham's City Facilities page for the rundown on the local parks, including City Park Complex, Carroll Park, Coker Park and Creekview Neighborhood Park.
- Local schools are part of Shelby County Schools, "Where learning never ends." One of the best school systems in the state, it offers instruction in academics, sports, vocational training and the arts.
- The Birmingham News has a page dedicated to Pelham, which gives residents the stories they need to know about their community.
Things to Do in Pelham
If you're wondering what kinds of activities you and your family can participate in while living in Pelham, you're in luck - there are plenty of options. Head to a local park for some outdoor recreation, travel to nearby Birmingham for big-city entertainment or grab a meal at one of the numerous restaurants in town.